In 2014, New Jersey transitioned its waivers to a single, comprehensive Medicaid waiver that is an 1115 demonstration program. All children in previous 1915(c) HCBS waivers were transferred to the new program as of 2017 and have been placed in managed care programs. Children who meet a nursing home level of care can qualify for the Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) program, which is based only on the child's income. Information on New Jersey's Comprehensive Waiver can be found on the Office of Home and Community Services page.
Some limited home and community based services for children with behavioral or developmental disabilities are provided by a state-based program called PerformCare or New Jersey Children's System of Care including in-home care, ABA, and respite.
New Jersey also has one adult-only waiver, Community Care Waiver.
Advocacy Organizations in New Jersey:
Last updated 10/4/21
Programs in New Jersey
- Target Population: Children and adults with any form of disability, including physical disability, developmental disability, AIDS, brain injury, and mental health challenges.
- Ages: all ages
- Levels of Care: Intermediate Care Facility, Nursing Facility, Hospital
- Income Waiver: Income limits are in place for most individuals; however, children who meet a nursing home level of care can qualify for the Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) program, which is based only on the child's income (parent income is not counted).
- Waiver Type: 1115
- Spots: unlimited
- Expiration Date: 6/30/2022
- Description from medicaid.gov: New Jersey’s new section 1115 demonstration entitled New Jersey Comprehensive Waiver (NJCW) is a statewide health reform effort that will expand existing managed care programs to include long term services and supports and expand home and community based services to some populations. This Demonstration builds upon existing managed acute and primary care programs and established provider networks. The 1115 Demonstration also combines under a single demonstration authority several existing Medicaid and CHIP waiver and demonstration programs, including two 1915(b) managed care waiver programs; a title XIX Medicaid and a title XXI CHIP section 1115 demonstrations and four 1915(c) programs.
- Online State Information: Comprehensive Medicaid Waiver or Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) program
- Official Federal Information
- How to Apply: For children, call Division of Disabilities Services (DDS) at 1-888-285-3036 to speak with an Information and Referral Specialist.
- Waiting List: none
- New Jersey's Early Intervention Program
- New Jersey's Title V Program: Special Child Health Services
- Catastrophic Illness in Children Relief Fund
- New Jersey Children's System of Care - PerformCare offers services for children with developmental disabilities, including some HCBS