Maine currently has two waivers that are open to children. One waiver is an HCBS 1915(c) Medicaid waiver and the other is a TEFRA program. Both the TEFRA program and the 1915(c) waiver waive parental income.
Maine also has an HIV demonstration program and several adult-only waivers, including Elderly and Adults with Disabilities, Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Services, Home & Community Services for Adults with ID or Autistic Disorder, Support Services for Adults with ID or Autistic Disorder, HCBS for Adults with Other Related Conditions, and HCBS for Member with BI.
Maine Advocacy Organizations:
Programs in Maine
- Target Population: Children who would otherwise require care in an institution with any type of disability, including medical, developmental, intellectual, or psychiatric conditions.
- Ages: 0-18
- Levels of Care: Intermediate Care Facility, Nursing Facility, Hospital
- Income Waiver: Yes, the program is based on the child's income only. However, Maine imposes a parental premium for families who earn more than 150% of the federal poverty line.
- Waiver Type: TEFRA
- Spots: unlimited
- Expiration Date: NA
- Description: Provides Medicaid coverage only.
- Online State Information: Katie Beckett Brochure and Katie Beckett Information
- How to Apply: Apply through the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Waiting List: none
Note: this waiver may no longer be operational.
- Target Population: Children with intellectual disabilities or autism.
- Ages: 5-21
- Levels of Care: Intermediate Care Facility, Hospital
- Income Waiver: Yes, the waiver is based on the child's income only.
- Waiver Type: 1915(c)
- Spots: 40
- Expiration Date: 1/31/2014; we are unsure if this waiver is continuing, or if children are now being enrolled through Katie Beckett and provided services through state programs
- Description from medicaid.gov: Provides home support, respite, communication aids, consultation, home accessibility adaptations, transportation for individuals with autism and IID, ages 5 – 21.
- Online State Information: General page on Children's Developmental Disability
- Official Federal Information
- How to Apply: An application is available on this page.
- Waiting List: none